[pjsip] pjsip over app protocol?

Shayne O'Neill shayne.oneill at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 23:18:57 EDT 2009

> I'm not well versed w/ voip, and am looking for a voip lib that will
> allow me to easily grab the voice stream and wrap it into my own
> application layer protocol, get the voice stream from point a to piont
> b, and unwrap it at the other end.
>
> So, basically make a point-to-point voip call, yet ... use a voice
> stream to help me see how well my app layer protocol performs.
>
> Is pjsip something I could easily do this with? If so, any pointers?
> If not, any recommendations?
>
> Any help much appreciated.

Ok, I might be misunderstanding you, but tell me if this helps;-

Have a look at some of the test apps like the sine wave generator.
PJSip has kind of a patch bay architecture that lets you define end
points (like audio devices, sip calls, tone generators) and lets you
arbitrarily patch them into each other.

The sine generator is instructive in this case. It should be fairly
straight forward to adapt that code into a generic end point template
you can use to provide your own data stream.

You basically create an end point, register it, then use a call to
patch it in via the conference bridge. Its a rather powerful arangement.