[pjsip] VP8 codec

Régis Montoya r3gis.3r at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 17:27:17 EST 2012

Hi all,

I'm pleased to share a first release of vp8 codec glue for pjsip. It
rely on libvpx from webm project.

As usually with contributions from csipsimple it's only the C code
(without toolchain integration as we use a separate one for now). Code
style is probably also a little bit crappy but I count on feedback to
make this better :).
It should be easy to use to other platforms as I think I didn't used any
stuff specific to android in this part ;)

Important warning : it's very early stage and there is known limitation
for unpacking frames and known possible optimizations (using vpx
partitions). But it should allow to make vp8 calls between 2 pjsip
clients and unless I mistaken it should comply the vp8 rtp rfc.

Code is available here :
https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/source/browse/trunk/CSipSimple/jni/libvpx/pj_sources/
(there's obviously one patch to add vpx payload type
https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/source/browse/trunk/CSipSimple/jni/pjsip/patches/011add_vpx_type.h)

Best regards
Régis

P.S. : If you have 2 android devices with 3.x+ you can test peer to peer
calls using csipsimple projects video plugin and nightly builds too (for
now vp8 bitrate is fixed to 1024 kB so only suitable for good bandwidth
situations but a setting will be added soon in the app) :
http://nightlies.csipsimple.com/plugins/CSipSimpleVideoPlugin.apk &
http://nightlies.csipsimple.com/trunk/CSipSimple-latest-trunk.apk