[pjsip] pjsua on Raspberry Pi (SEKCobra - John) - answer by Silvio

SL pj at lugato.it
Fri Dec 2 05:14:30 EST 2016

Hi John,
Raspberry doesn't have a direct audio input for microphone and dealing
with stereo audio output through o/s layer can lead you to trouble in
getting good audio.
I have solved this problem from scratch by designing an hardware audio
codec and its user space driver that works directly with PjMedia audio
packets, through SPI interface.
Aimed to build a video-doorphone, I build my board with all hardware
needed for it.
You can have a look to my video-doorphone pet-project in my English site:
http://www.lugato.co.uk
The development board you can see surfing my site is full functional and
tested: it has all the hardware needed to easily build an "hassle free"
IP video-doorphone system based on Raspberry PI (both internal and
external stations).
It is currently assembled by an Italian firm for internal development of
IP video-doorphone hardware.
If you are interested to have a sample of this board, feel free to
contact me through the contact form you can find in my site.
Please note that it is currently based on Rasbpian Wheezy and Pjproject
2.3, since PjMedia running on Raspbian Jessie isn't able to recognize
Raspicam and I had no time to spend in finding the reason of this
problem, since it was actually not needed: Raspicam works perfectly with
PjMedia running on Rasbpian Wheezy... but I would be curious to know the
reason why Raspicam doesn't work with PjMedia+Jessie.
Please take also in account that H264 video compression works fine only
on Raspberry PI 2 and 3, since the old Raspberry board doesn't have
enough computational power for it, but old Raspberry can manage H263+
video compression quite well. I recommend using PI3 ;)
If you just need audio, you can install Rasbpian Jessie with the last
version of Pjproject on Raspberry PI connected to this board.
Have fun!
Silvio