[pjsip] Changing codec parameter dynamically

301 at free.fr 301 at free.fr
Sat Dec 3 11:27:01 EST 2016

Thank you all for your answers and proposals.
Disabling sound device seems interesting but I don't see how it can work in
my scenario (see below).
The pjsip keep-alive mechanism seems to be linked to VAD only as far as I
understand, and the compiler setting is a constraint for me because the
keep-alive period can be defined in SDP at session establishment.

To give you my scenario: I use PJSIP stack to perform "classic" telephone
calls, and in parallel to perform radio calls. Those radios calls are half
duplex; when one side doesn't transmit audio, it shall send some kind of
keep-alive packets (without payload) at a lower frequency. So when I
transmit audio, I shall receive keep-alive packets from the other side.
When the other side send me audio, I'm supposed to send keep-alive packets.
When nobody is sending audio, both sides shall send keep-alive packets.

If I disable the sound device when there is no audio on either side, I
guess this would have an impact on the other pending calls (telephone) that
the application is supporting, doesn't it? (I will loose sound on the other
calls)
When I receive audio and re-enable the sound device, then I will transmit
audio too, won't I?
What Gang Liu proposes is what I'm doing right now, but there is one
drawback: the RTP statistics are wrong this way because they still believe
that the payload has been transmitted...
I still have to find out how to retrieve the ptime used by the codec in
order to determine how many RTP frames I have to drop. Nevertheless, as for
the payload drop in the transport adapter, it seems not very efficient to
waste such processor time with things which are not useful (making RTP
frames to be dropped, making payload to be removed...).
But at least it works :-) I will see the performance impact with large
number of calls...

Thibault